Law Firm SEO, or Search Engine Optimization, may be the key to growing your client-base that you have been missing. As an experienced lawyer, you know you're an expert in your field, but how do you communicate that to your potential clients? Consumers have a lot of options, so how do you stand out? As the digital landscape is expanding and becoming more important, your website is a great start.
However, websites are no longer a “one and done” type of thing. In fact, a great analogy is that websites are like modern-day sports facilities. What could that possibly mean?
Fenway Park may be home to the Red Sox but they also come up with fresh, useful, and applicable opportunities to provide people with new reasons to come to the facility. For example, they host concerts, weddings, and other events to get new people in the door.
Just the same, it’s important that your website generates new, useful, and applicable content to keep visitors coming to your “virtual” door. Think of new evergreen articles, tips, and relevant information that will resonate with the clients you are trying to attract. This is the basis of Law Firm SEO. The marketing term SEO is responsible for improving the quality of your web page so it appears in a favorable position on the search engine results page (on Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc.), attracting quality audience volume in an organic or unpaid way.
Why Should Lawyers Care About SEO?
Mastering the SEO game is essential for lawyers because:
- SEO establishes a baseline of credibility and authority, which will help you close more new clients.
- You will be properly positioned to answer questions your future clients are bound to ask, therefore attracting your target clientele to your website as well as acting as a resource for them.
- These efforts will improve your page ranking, or domain authority, in turn improving the quality and quantity of the audience coming to your website.
Through effective SEO, you will be able to position your firm above your competitors on Google and other search engines, which will improve brand visibility, increase website traffic, drive more qualified leads, and ultimately close more new clients.
SEO promotes credibility - the holy grail of authority and trust. Paid ads are great tools to get your site to the first page of the search engine results page as it definitely increases visibility. But as you likely understand, trust in a lawyer-client relationship is essential, although it can be difficult to develop. Organically ranking well through the use of SEO will communicate to your clients that you are a credible authority that is well-established, well-respected, and someone they should trust. This is especially important because according to Google Consumer Surveys, 96% of people use a search engine when in need of legal advice.
However, the first step in landing that organic page rank is getting to know your audience and what is important to them. Think - what are their questions, concerns, and pain points? This will lead you to what they are searching for and therefore what you should try to rank for. This is the first step in mastering Law Firm SEO.
When you are considering what your target audience is searching for, think about which topics they may be interested in. Searches, especially for services like law firms, usually follow the template of “lawyer + near me” or “law firm + in [specific area]”. With this topical approach, searches by practice area are also very relevant. People may search “I need a personal injury lawyer” if they were recently in an accident. In fact, according to Findlaw U.S. Consumer Legal Needs Survey, 62% of legal searches are these non-branded, topic-focused searches. With effective SEO, you will likely be able to easily rank at least locally with these keywords. If you neglect to do this, you risk completely disqualifying yourself from a whole section of your future client list.
How to Implement Law Firm SEO?
Now that we’ve clarified that Law Firm SEO is important and attainable. Let’s talk more about exactly how you will want to optimize your site to rank for the keywords that your future clients are searching for. There are definitely good practices and bad practices in the SEO world, so here are some of the best practices to focus on:
- Research keywords your target audience may be searching and analyze the opportunity with SEO tools like Moz.com.
- Content, Content, Content - offer valuable insights that fit your audience’s needs.
- Include relevant keywords in the title and in the body copy where relevant. Be careful not to repeat your target keyword too many times, it will appear too unpleasant to read!
- Write a relevant meta description that includes your targeted keywords.
- Ensure that the content is shareable so you can earn links and amplification.
- Improve the user experience on your website. Think about:
- Quick Page loading
- Compelling User Experience
- General Ease of Use
- Optimize the backend of your website so that crawlers can view and index your content for ranking.
At the end of the day, if you offer insights on your site that are novel, unique, and helpful, it is likely that relevant visitors will come to your page, generating quality traffic.
This is definitely a lot of information to digest about SEO. You may be thinking - “I am an expert in the legal world, not in SEO!” No need to worry, Law Firm SEO is our area of expertise here at Practice Alchemy. Through our search engine optimization services, our marketing team is able to help you to transform your practice by:
- Improving your brand visibility.
- Increasing your website traffic.
- Driving more qualified leads.
- And ultimately closing more new clients.
Let our law firm marketing team help you today! Request a free marketing assessment here to learn more about how Practice Alchemy’s SEO services can help your firm meet its marketing goals.